Monday, March 7, 2011

Survival Canned Food Challenge: Day 1



OK people, for this week I will be conducting a fun experiment in the name of survival, to simulate what it would be like living off of only canned and dried foods, I will only eat them for this entire week starting today and ending Monday. I went out and bought about $50 worth of only canned and dried goods, most of which was around 1 dollar. I plan on experimenting with meal ideas and posting recipies and pictures here on my blog so stay tuned for more.

UPDATE
I now have picks of my meals for today:
For Breakfast
-Simple bowl of Cream of Wheat, which was great!

Lunch
-Make shift tuna fish salad containing:
-2 cans of tuna
-some canned corn
-dried cranberries
-some Old Bay seasoning (Great on everything)
-had some crackers w/ it
It was a little dry but tasted pretty good i will give it 4/5


Dinner
-Kale stew (Which I am very proud of personally) containing:
-Seasoned Kale
-Canned whole potatoes (Sliced)
-Can of Spam (Cubed)
-1/2 Can corn (leftover from lunch)
-Can red beans
-Old Bay and Garlic Salt for seasoning


I later realized that the pot I was using was too small.
Had a nice slimey sheen to it.
Cubes, tasty spam cubes...
Using as a cooking alternative to oil or butter.
These are pretty good for being canned, great for meals like this.
cooking up ingredients before adding kale.
Magic seasoning...
First mixing in kale.
I let it cook for about 45min on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
Finished product, dinner time!
All in all, it was pretty good, it all blended together well and was pretty easy straight out of the can. I give it a 5/5.


So this challenge is off to a good start lets see how the rest of the week goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment